|“||Cory: Has the whole world paired off?
Shawn: Pretty much.
Cory: Is there a list posted somewhere where I find out what girl's been assigned to me?
Shawn: You want a girlfriend?
Cory: No, not a girlfriend. Just a girl who's like a friend, but not a girlfriend.
|Season 2, Episode 2|
September 30, 1994
"Pairing Off" is the second episode of season two of Boy Meets World, and the 24th episode overall. It first aired on September 30, 1994. The episode was written by Jeff Menell & Glen Merzer and was directed by David Trainer.
After encountering several "boyfriend/girlfriend" pairs at school, Cory tries desperately to ask other people's advice on "how to get a girl to say hi". He wonders what girl would be right for him. After discovering Eric in a compromising situation with his girlfriend, Cory blackmails his brother into fulfilling his wish. However, taking advice from Eric may prove to be a huge mistake.
- Ben Savage as Cory Matthews
- Danielle Fishel as Topanga Lawrence
- Will Friedle as Eric Matthews
- Rider Strong as Shawn Hunter
- Anthony Tyler Quinn as Jonathan Turner
- William Daniels as George Feeny
- Betsy Randle as Amy Matthews
- Lily Nicksay as Morgan Matthews
- William Russ as Alan Matthews
- Cory: Look, I want someone I know, someone who knows me, someone who we know each other, someone like... uh, Topanga! Topanga, my honey. May I call you honey?
- Topanga: No.
- Cory: Topanga! My girl, my friend, my girl...y friend. Believe me, I don't want this any more than you do, but everybody around here is pairing off, and I think you and I should spare ourselves a lot of uncoolness and walk through life together.
- Topanga: Cory, my dear little butthead. May I call you butthead?
- Cory: Sure.
- Topanga: I can't walk through life with you.
- Cory: Is there someone else?
- Topanga: There's everybody else.
- Cory: Why? We're already standing together, and we look great. Oh, come on. Work with me here.
- Topanga: Cory, when guys and girls go out, first they fall passionately in love; then, after a week, they hate each other. So for one great passionate week, we'd lose a friendship that could last a lifetime.
- Cory: I'm in if you are.
- Topanga: Cory, don't worry. I'm sure there's someone out there for you.
- Eric: Happy birthday, mom. The other one's on layaway. Nothing happened between me and Rebecca.
- Amy: Why should we believe that nothing happened?
- Amy: You had the big sex talk with him two years ago. What did you tell him?
- Alan: Not that! How could you think that?
- Alan:How could this happen?
- Eric: Dad, I'm sorry. I'm really, really sor--
- Alan: For thousands of years, fathers have said to their sons, "don't rush into sex," and the sons have always said, "yeah sure okay." Well, I didn't understand my father till now.